Sunday, July 27, 2008

Alexander Diaz's Still Lifes From My Mother's House

I received an e-mail from Alexander Diaz the other day with a link to his website. His project Still Lifes From My Mother's House examines the eccentric collection of objects that dominate his mother's life, and artist's past. In his statement for the work, Diaz asserts:

"For me, these still lifes are layered in meaning and history and go beyond mere decorations. Her arrangements, like any successful fabricated still life throughout art history, are thought provoking and cleverly juxtaposed. These still lifes are not only informative of an individual, they are also testaments of a culture that is based on consumption."









All photographs from the series Still Lifes From My Mother's House

All Images © Alexander Diaz